The mechanics of golf swing and back pain | FairWeather Golf Blog

FairWeather Blog : The mechanics of golf swing and back pain.

The recent BBC report from US doctors implies the modern swing favoured by the top professionals, could be leading to back injuries in golfers. Today we discussed this report with our very own Reeves Weedon, PGA fellow professional and author of the 'Lower Body Golf Swing'

If you have yet to read the report read click here 

The modern golf swing.

Reeves suggests, the modern golf swing is still taught to favour the right foot. The PGA manual itself suggests at the top of the back swing you should have 70% of your weight distributed on your right foot with the other 30% on your left (for a right handed golfer).

Ultimately, Reeves says that to achieve the PGA recognised swing for right handers, your body needs to pivot around your head, allowing your weight to move forward onto your right leg whilst still managing to  your head still. Whereas if you fail to shift your weight into your right leg you can end up with too much torque on the spine and cervix due to the lateral motion.

With this swing, for most amateur golfers, you are unlikely to generate enough torque, to get the power you need to achieve the distance you are looking for.

What the data suggests.

Ironically, when Reeves was studying at Michagan University, he spent time analysing the data from the PGA tour in 2016.

The data implied that at the top of the backswing of the touring professionals, 90% of the weight was on the left foot, with just 10% on the right foot. Suggesting that the top players are favouring this distribution in order to achieve the power they desire.

Where the problem lies.

Reeves suggests that this could be the underlying problem that appears to affect golfers.

By increasing lateral motion and separation of the hips and shoulders. To much stress is placed on the lower back and neck. Often leading to the problems experienced by pro's such as Tiger Woods.

Reeves suggests, that the RoboGolfPro could help golfers adjust their swing, takes out some of the lateral motion and ultimately bring you more central. Thus reducing the impact of the swing on your back and shoulders.

The good news is, that Reeves suggests that some of the issues could be reversible, through adjustments to your swing, back strengthening exercises and stretching. If you experience back pain then give the team at FairWeather Golf a call and discuss what you need to do.

To find out more about FairWeather Golf, visit www.fairweather.golf.